Rev. Carlos Carrero



This month's voice for Christ is a man that believes that without God there is little that he could accomplish successfully. This Father of five has taught his children to put their faith and trust in God. He raised his family in the Pentecostal church where he became the teacher of a men's bible study class. He also served as the director of the Adult and Male choirs. He became the assistance pastor to the late Rev. Jacqueline Jones at Turning Point Ministries in Olney.

His name is Carlos M. Carrero. Carlos was called to serve God at St. Thomas United Methodist Church in Frankford under the leadership of the Rev. Mary P. Elum and for the past six years he has been the Pastor at the Fruit of the Vine Mission Church at Frankford Group Ministry. Rev. Carrero also serves as the Director of the Frankford Group Ministry, a non-profit organization. Rev. Carrero is a man who posses many gifts that he shares with those who cross his path. He is an encourager, an uplifter, a teacher of the word, and is gifted vocally. He cares about others and what they are going through. He often freely gives of his time, going above and beyond the call of duty to help whomever he can in his community and abroad that comes to him seeking direction. He continues to attend seminary, while working for the kingdom of God, at the Wesley Theological Seminary Extension School. I am so pleased to be able to share with the readers of my blog how Rev. Carrero serves and shines as a true light in the Frankford area here in Philadelphia, PA. He truly loves the Lord and the ministry that God has called him to oversee in Frankford.

LHU: As Pastor, what is your vision for the future of the Fruit of the Vine Mission Church?

Rev. Carrero: I envision a church that is multiracial, welcoming to all of God's people, where souls can learn how to not only know of Jesus but to truly know Him through a transformed life.


LHU: How does the Frankford Group Ministry serve the community of Frankford?


Rev. Carrero: FGM serves that community in many ways. First we are a beacon of hope for the poor and disenfranchised. We serve the community through a food cupboard where persons can come and receive 3-7 days worth of nutrious food for their family. We have a clothing closet where people can come once a week and find new and softly used clothing free of charge for their family. FGM helps with utility grants for low income families that are struggling to keep their utilities from being terminated. We supply school supplies to needed families for their children before they return to school in the fall. FGM is a Senior Response Center, educating the senior population about the various services and grants available to them. We are community activist and sit on many boards throughout the city and its governing offices.


LHU: During what times do you feel closest to God?

Rev. Carrero: I love to preach, being under the power of God's anointing is awesome and I told friends that I would rather preach than eat.


LHU: How do you balance your roll as a full time father of five and pastor?

Rev. Carrero: I have become a single parent within the last couple of years and I've got to tell you that I have a new found respect for the women that raise their children without the support of their fathers. It is very difficult to balance it all but I am compelled to care for the fruit of my body and have been called to provide nurture to the church. How I am able to do it I can't explain, I only know that whatever God calls you for He is able to see that you perform it with the spirit of excellence.


LHU: Rev.Carrero please share your testimony with us.

Rev. Carrero: I am the youngest of six siblings born in a household and environment without Church. My father died before I turned 1 and my mother made a lot of poor decisions to keep her family together. Her decisions put us children in harms way on many occasions. At the age of 14 I started doing drugs and drinking alcohol. By the time I was 18, two of my brothers were murdered eight months apart from the other. My mom had a severe stroke and I was homeless. I left home at age 17 because my mom was abusive and I now believe that she was trying to make straight of her wrong through my life and how to get there did not so much matter just as long as her result was achieved. At age nineteen I was on almost every drug imaginable. I needed sleeping pills to sleep and speed to keep me awake. I smoked joint like cigarettes and was sleeping around with anybody I chose to. One of my friend’s mom who had been drug addicted invited me to attend her church for a "change of pace", so I agreed. Little did I know that God would be waiting at the church to save my soul. As we walked to her little storefront church I remember the battle that raged inside of me, I remember saying within myself that I am just going for a change of pace and not a change of lifestyle. When we arrived at this holiness church. I felt comfortable and sat quietly and listened to the sermon. After the sermon, this lady got up and began to sing Lord I want to be a Christian in my heart. All of a sudden I was moved inside myself. Tears started streaming down my face. I tried to cover them but they just came more and more. I could no longer control my feeling and emotions and knew that I wanted to serve their God and ended up on the alter giving my life to Christ that day.

The women told me to tell everyone what God had done for me. I was back at home during this time living with family. We all enjoy getting high, and in our home it was common. I came in and told everyone that I had gotten saved and we all laughed and passed the joint. The next day she came to my home to get me out because she knew what kind of house I lived in. She took me to her house, fed me naturally and spiritually, and convinced me to join her church choir because she knew I loved singing. Before I left her she said tell everyone what the Lord did for you today. I went home and told them as requested and they all laughed and we got high. Tuesday night was her church's Bible study, she came and got me out of my home again and fed my naturally and spiritually and compelled me to go to Bible study with her. I agreed and went with her. They were having something called tarrying service, that's where you call on Jesus name until you think you are dying. I did as they requested and as I was going home she said don't forget to tell everyone what God did for you today. You see she was making me overcome by the word of my own testimony. That evening as I went home I was alone and was preparing my drugs for usage. When I looked in the mirror in the bathroom I was not pleased with the person I saw so I prayed to God to deliver me and immediately He lifted that monkey off my back. Two days later He delivered me from a two pack a day cigarette addiction and then I began to preach in my mother's house that they were all going to hell. God not only saved my life, but he saved my soul, and my entire family.


LHU: What is your advice for those who have made mistakes in life?


Rev. Carrero: Look at the root cause of the mistake and work that out with God. Many of us deal to much with the mistake and never identify what is causing us to keep making the mistake over, and over again. We pray for forgiveness but never seek to deal with the root of the problem. Problems and mistakes are only symptoms of what is deeply rooted in our souls, therefore, we must allow our God to deal with the root cause to eradicate the problem.

LHU: What is your favorite passage of Scripture and why it's your choice?

Rev. Carrero: Jude 1:24-25-- Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy, To the only wise God our Savior, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.

Just to know that God has the power to keep me and present me faultless when I have so many is transforming and causes me to want to do His will.

LHU: How can we be in prayer for you, your family, and your ministry?

Rev. Carrero: Pray that God's perfect will be done in our life. I have learned that my desires sometimes puts me in His permissive will. I want my life to be lined up and in divine order, therefore His perfect will is what I desire for me, my family, and ministry.


I would like to thank my friend Rev. Carlos M. Carrero for giving of his time to share his testimony with the readers of my blog and give me this interview. May God continue to bless him in all he sets out to do in the name of Jesus and for his Kingdom in his community.

Love in Christ,
Sherri Walker, Editor

Comments

Popular Posts